Thursday, April 26, 2007

Wednesday

Lake across from work
park
Fingers out-stretched to the lake.

That was Monday. On Wednesday, the weather was bad, the traffic was worse, including a serious accident with injuries on the road I travel. It made me run late as well. The injuries (EMS present and cars beyond totalled) were more important than my being "only on time".

I was on time for work, but barely, met with the DM to pre-review. I had to clean some areas before we began for the closing crew did not do such a good job. I note this because it is important later. The crew might have hurried through it and not done a good job, or were so busy that completion of task within the time frame was not realistic or possible.

My meeting lasted a while and during lunch, the DM took me out, so that where we were wasn't occupied by our butts. We talked there, more about non-work related things. I don't think we got as far as we could/should have. The afternoon then was real work. The place was dry and slow. I got a few things done for my self-assigned homework. I got pictures of screens for a training manual for myself and any who follow my course.

I also used MS screen print to send screen pictures to my account, but they never transmitted. What a piece of crap that system is. Anyway ... the business picked up around 3:30, then train-like sped up and forward continually. By 5:30 we were "hoppin" and there were people waiting to sit. That was great business -- great to see it alive and moving, but

we were short on people, very short on people
we were short on supplies and ran out of supplies

At 8:00 the rush ebbed and I was sent out, after my 11.25 hour day. I am quite sure there was a second rush.

The morale was grim that night. Not only had it been busy and they had their butts kicked, but there was a perspective of unfairness between chiefs -- in the eyes of a young man. His opinion of a manager was docked a few points. I listened and understood his opinion. I had a front section job, so didn't work as hard as the Indy pit crew were last night. They were fast, sweaty, and eager. I wish I had something to give them all. I think they did friggin' great.

I am trying to put together a manual for work, but some parts I need didn't come through email -- thanks, work! I would naturually guess a file-size limitation, but that isn't likely considering work. I'll have to do it the less efficient way then and photograph the screen -- larger pics requiring much more work and luck not getting any glare. My manual won't be done this work, for sure.

I included the lovely pictures, for the day wasn't lovely, but the people there are. They are hard-working and dedicated. Sadly, I don't think their efforts are recognized often. One person there noted that [the same person] was seeking another job and if offered would drop this one for the other. Now ... the job doesn't pay too well (imagine that), and the benefits are dubious, but it is a job. The last few weeks of nastiness will take its toll on those working and I'll see a few people drop out, no doubt.

No comments: