Friday, June 08, 2007

weight

Well, Marcus had a secret he didn't want to tell anyone. Bethy found out because she asked so I can now let everyone know. Work is a pain and generally un-enjoyable, more so now than before. I found out with my last check that I didn't get my raise that I should have. It irked me and bothered me to a great extent. I went in on Wednesday expecting the chance to catch the GM and let him know of my problem. I copied the pay stubs and noted that I didn't get my raise.

He, in turn, thought I meant that I wasn't getting enough hours. Another day later I speak with him and found out his misconception. He claimed that he couldn't give raises, but rather could only make recommendations to the DM for them. So, he abdicated it to the DM. He did note that he would prefer merit-based raises. That's fine, except if the criteria are written down, you don't know what you need to complete, right?

So, I called the DM on Friday expecting him to flat out turn down my raise as promised. I typed a resignation letter planning on delivering it to the GM tonight. I know, I know ... I should have another job lined up and I should. I was going to shoot myself in the foot for, in my mind, we were arguing over chump change. This raise is actually the cheapest of the raises I'll get. It they battle this one, imagine my fight on the next one. I was pumped and prepared for a battle.

The DM said, oh, yeah ... how much was that? Okay. I'll talk with the GM about it. So, he said yes, then maybe ... I still had to go into work to find out the results. The GM called me over to him to talk with while he was working. First -- suggestions on closing ... okay, yeah, yeah, yeah ... blah, blah, blah ... am I getting my raise? Finally, he noted ... DM talked with me and said, "Sorry. He's put it in and the check will be sent out to you." Okay, so I got my raise. I don't have to drop anchor and drift again.

After rough seas of doubt, I still find Christ walking on water to save people and me. I have been stressed over this for a while and I didn't talk to family about it, fearing the worst responses about my would-have-been hasty decision. I have had other letters of intent, leads, and offers. I think I will pursue them to find out if they offer a fair compensation for what I am doing now ... ie: equitable trade.

In secondary news, I think the mgr in training has seen a good dose of, "what the ..." with business and general laziness on the part of the long-timers who'd rather talk than work. Maybe now he'll ask less often, "what's wrong?"

1 comment:

sunsearcher said...

I pray that your find your way on your path. It is stressful to be at a workplace not so fullfilling.
Communting can really wear you down.