Monday, August 07, 2006

Wet paint

Father and I were painting again. This time, it was the upstairs hallway walls. It seems to be my lot in life to paint. The seemingly thousands of corners from five doorways took a long, long while. In the middle of painting I got a call about a sales job that I likely don’t want, selling financials to senior citizens.

We finished and when we were cleaning out brushes and trays, the outside well (not where one gets water) was filled with paint water and plant material. Water went nowhere, because of the plant waste. I thought that it would eventually drain and went in to wash my hands then shower.

I went to the basement (opposite side of well) and the paint water had crept in, along the floor. I dropped scrap towels to hold back what could have been a flood. I went outside and bailed the excess water from the well while Father dropped more towels on the floor. After the well was 5 mm filled with water, very safe, I returned to clean up the mess.

It had crept under a storage cabinet, thankfully plastic and easier to move. It also went under the clothes washer, so we had to move it and clean the mess there. Yikes! It had been a while seen the cabinet and the washer had pulled back. Goo, eww ... and gross! Suffice to say that the energy I had for the second coat of paint today, was spent on the water disaster. I am spent. Father had a sore back, so we called it a day at the half (12:00)

The good news is that God was looking out for us, in that it rained heavily in the afternoon and the plugged well would have been an issue, perhaps.

Mother was a little more energetic today and spoke with hospital about appointment. Diane was supposed to come over to work with Mom on some small patches for their sewing tomorrow. At the time of this writing, she had yet to show.

To make walking difficult, most of the walls upstairs were wet, but dried fairly quickly. At 3:00, the rails were up and it was as good as it was going to be for today. Father thought that one coat would do, but Marcus wasn't sure.

No comments: