Sunday, July 08, 2007

hurts

I found a new pain at work. Mind you there are the annoyances of fellow leaders and chiefs who are as much hypocrites as they are mammals. The flow of business and scheduling is hectic and chaotic. At work there are many ways to get minor injuries like burns, cuts, bruises. You deal with fellows (co-workers) and people whom you may otherwise be slow to throw the life safer.

Being a leader, I'm supposed to move left and look right, follow a rough sketch that defies regulations, policy, and follow the chief-in-charge, rather than a set scheme. I field questions, hustle like a paint shaker, then get admonished for working hard.

I found this new pain while looking for someone. I opened up a closet, where people do keep themselves so that they can complete work projects and not be seen/disturbed. I walked in and found a person drinking on the job. I am supposed to send the person home right away, document the event, and essentially sign the termination papers for the person prior to the chief addressing the issue and beheading the person. I didn't send the person home, didn't inform anyone else of the situation. The person seemed legitimately sorry and I suspect and hope that it will be my last hurdle with this person.

I might be completely wrong, and perhaps should have followed the guidelines, "according to the book" that hardly any chief does. It seems like a bill, with so-called leaders having a daily line-item veto or applicability exemption stamp. Since all the leaders have exceptions to the rules, generally as shortcuts, and are hypocrites -- am I feeling bad about what I did? I didn't follow procedure to get a person fired. I feel justified, but unsure whether I did anyone right by my decision.

No comments: