Monday, December 01, 2008

notes from a somber trip

dark setting sun
I looked at this and thought of a wink.





We traveled to Jack's showing and funeral. I won't labor the painful loss though I could easily.
It was really nice to see people there. I will highlight the funny little things.

We got to the hotel late that night and the girls wanted tea. After we went to the restaurant nearby, Debbie couldn't, for the life of her figure out the coffee maker. She didn't pour it in the right area. Really, we were all loopy, sickened with sorrow and tired. It was still funny that Debbie, coffee-hound that she is, couldn't figure it out.

I had the misfortune of odd circumstances. Diane was to sleep with the girls, but ... that didn't happen. She didn't go to sleep in Joe's room either. She bunked in with me, no worries, save one. I am a very light sleeper. Diane snores uncontrollably. I had no options. I slept in the car and a restless and cold night it was.

After the funeral there was a delay ... a drained battery. Thankfully cables and capability -- voila, it started. Susan lost her ride and frantically called to ride with Dad and I. We were happy to have her. We were following Don back for it was easy to get lost. Susan, in Brooklyn baroque spoke of jolly ol' England and her first 4 months there. She broke her leg and the flat was burglarized while they were away. Of the years she lived in Brooklyn, not once was she burglarized.

Barney sucked up to most people who had that special charm, love ... food. He grabbed anything Barney height and made it his.

Debbie, still tired, couldn't figure out the parking brake at night. So goofy.
Sorry Diane, this one is for you ... Diane kept us up to date with play by play action, including the obvious. Debbie was in tears with laughter with, "Hello, Mr. Obvious? Long time listener, first time caller." "OK. We're turning around here."

Diane lost her cellphone.

Joe spilt caramel coffee in the van -- ew! At the same time Beth nearly gagged with the smell of a cigar-smoker in the parking lot.

We agreed not to take the same long-butt route we did. In the end we shaved off 40 minutes, but there is no "quick" way.

We got back home with few breaks in Ohio with three voices calling, "potty!"

I will bear the name, "Neo" with my black trenchcoat. I'm no Keanu, thank you.

No comments: