Thursday, June 19, 2008

The "small" leak

Well, Diane called and asked me for advice on a leak. Well, she had me start looking at the gooshy bottom boards and wood paneling. It only got worse and scarier.
In the end, I ripped out a section of wall. I am very thankful that it was the basement and that there wasn't a new gateway to some other room.
Most of the wood support beams you see must be replaced.
You can see the moisture on the wall, the insulation that stuck there and some of the mold and rot on the boards and the wall.
This is the destroyed baseboard. It is clear that it wasn't a minor leak. I examined the pipe and the hole appears small, but it must have sprayed on the inside to do this much damage.
You can see the mold, mildew buildup on the insulation
If you look carefully, you can see the "sweat" or dew on the inside of the plastic. nearly everything I removed and exposed was completely ruined.
I was able to rip off some fo the drywall in large slabs and chunks.

Diane present the mess, work and that which is consistent with her life ... challenge.
This was the drywall at the base, behind the rotted wood paneling.
This was behind a bunny cage, fairly well ignored. It is tough to know when the leak started.
Base board ... ew!
This is where I started. I got the quick impression it was bad.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That is disgusting on so many levels